Sunday, July 11, 2010

Massey and the Go Dog Go seminar/funmatch

This weekend Massey and I attended an agility seminar on how to do games(snooker and gamble) followed the next day by a fun match.
Here are the pros's and con's of the weekend.

Pros's

-Learned about how to play these games. (i love snooker, and it would seem so does Massey)
- day spent with great people and their dogs, and got to meet some new dog/handler teams
- day out with Massey working on our teamwork
-once I have Massey working with me she is fast.
- homework that I have been doing with my treadle, 180's, pinwheels, and serpentine ques are paying off.

Con's

- learned that Massey can still get stressed at start lines/mid course if I do not have a "flowy path" and start sniffing.
- Massey needs work on distance ques, she really doesn't like to take direction to work away from me

Plan

- work more on distance
- practice her warm up routine and the ready, ready game in a variety of new places.
- reward more often


So basically what I have learned is that I put too much pressure and expectations on myself and when as a team we do not live up to these goals I am disappointed and upset that I was not a better teammate for my dog (which really really makes me angry at myself, because I know better and I let her down).
I can make excuses about how all the other crap going on in my life right now got in the way, but the truth is I was not what Massey needed from me.
If I look back to where we were this time last year I can not help but be proud of all that we have accomplished together and how far she has come and I truly need to remember this on a daily basis.

Live each day the fullest you can, not guaranteeing there'll be a tomorrow, not dwelling endlessly on yesterday.
Author: Jane Seymour

1 comment:

  1. Maureen, you and Massey are doing great, like you said - just think were you were a year ago! You've got the right attitude about it, you love your dog, and know how you can make things better, and that is the most important thing of all.

    ReplyDelete

is there a Veterinarian in the house?

is there a Veterinarian in the house?